Christmas Baking, Day 9
Today’s recipe is a gluten-free and dairy-free take on a delicious classic, perfect if you have people in your family that have intolerances or follow a vegan lifestyle. *Drum roll please* A creamy vegan lemon cheesecake! This recipe can be used for any occasion and tastes amazing. It’s easy to follow and quick! Perfect for the madness that is Christmas.
What you’ll need…
For the base
- 30g coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g blanched almonds
- 100g soft pitted dates
For the topping
- 300g cashew nuts
- 2 ½ tbsp agave syrup
- 50g coconut oil
- 150ml almond milk
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- (Optional) Candied Lemon, finely chopped
How to make tis scrumptious dessert…
- Put the cashew nuts in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, blitz the ingredients for the base with a pinch of salt in a food processor.
- Grease a 23cm round tin with coconut oil, then press the mix into the base and pop in the fridge to set (about 30 mins).
- Drain the cashews and tip into the clean food processor.
- Add all the other topping ingredients, reserving a small amount of the lemon zest in damp kitchen paper, then blend until all ingredients are mixed well and smooth.
- Spoon the topping mix onto the set base, spread so that it is level and put in the fridge to set– about 2 hours. Just before serving, scatter over the left-over lemon zest or the candied lemon peel, or both!
This recipe isn’t just for those that cannot consume gluten or dairy, it’s a great light alternative to the heavy desserts often associated with Christmas and family gatherings. It tastes just as good as the real thing – you’d believe that it was!
You can substitute some ingredients for others such as lime or orange, and nuts such as peanuts or walnuts! Whatever takes your fancy.