Baking at Home Mug Cakes
I hope you are all well and safe!
With another three weeks of lockdown, it’s hard to keep thinking of ways to keep yourself entertained. Hopefully some recipes will help pass the time! I have included a couple of fun, easy mug cake recipes that are quick and simple, and will curb your cravings nicely!
You can make these in mugs or ramekins, whatever you would prefer, and with Easter just passed, you can use up some of that chocolate lying around!
Be aware – mug cakes with egg need to be cooked all the way through, so be careful.
If you come up with any other great combinations, “bake” them up and send us a snap on Instagram – @wenzelsthebaker
Raspberry & Lemon Mug Cake
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (great if you’ve just had a Chili con Carne and have some extra cream that you don’t want to go to waste!)
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 5-6 raspberries
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together
- In a separate bowl, mix all of your wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir so that there are no lumps, and the mix has some air bubbles.
- Put into the mug (if you haven’t already) and push the raspberries into the centre.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds. If it isn’t cooked when you check with a skewer, microwave in 10 second intervals until fully cooked.
- If you have some, put whipped cream and extra raspberries on the top and enjoy!
Nutella Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp nutella
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 0.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Put your Nutella in a cup and put in the microwave for 20 seconds to melt it.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the egg, mix well and then add the melted Nutella and some chocolate chips. Stir the mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins or mugs and microwave separately until cooked – can be 20 second intervals for smaller cakes, or 60 seconds + 10 second intervals for larger mugs.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbs choc chips (I mean… add as many as you want, no-one is judging!)
- Alternatively, you can cut up 2 of everyone’s favourite peanut butter cups 😉
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder until thoroughly, completely combined with no streaks of flour or cocoa powder remaining.
- Blend in milk, butter, and vanilla until batter is smooth. Add in half of the the chocolate chips (or cut up PB Cups). Pour your mixture into a mug.
- Combine peanut butter and chocolate chips and put into the centre of the cake mixture, gently pressing down until even with the top of the mix.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds.
Mocha Mug Cake
- 1 slice of butter (30 g)
- 6 squares of dark chocolate (30 g)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp single cream
- 1 drop of coffee extract (optional)
- In a mug, melt the butter with the chocolate in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (depending on your microwave watt)
- Stir the mixture until smooth, then allow it to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg, sugar, flour, baking powder, instant coffee and cream in a separate bowl.
- Mix the chocolate mixture with the egg mix in the mug.
- Add the drop of coffee extract on top.
- Cook in the microwave for 60 seconds. If it is not cooked, keep cooking in 10 second intervals until cooked.
- You can decorate with whipped cream but I suggest eating it straight away! YUM!!
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsp flavourless oil (coconut oil/sunflower oil)
- 3 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp chocolate chips
- In a microwavable mug mix together all of the dry ingredients so that they are well combined.
- Add in the oil and water and beat until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Adjust your timing to fit your microwave – you can leave these a little gooey in the middle. Allow to cool for at least 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream & enjoy!
These are all delicious, and now that we sell flour in stores, a little easier to make than a normal cake. It also means you can create personalised cakes for the little ones to keep them all happy, and there will be little to no waste!
I hope you enjoy making these, and that the lockdown hasn’t been too boring for everyone. We will all get through this together.
Lots of love and best wishes,